How to work with to-do lists in a easy, fast, and fun way← Back to blog
If you are looking to increase your productivity and manage your time more effectively at work, start the day by preparing a list of things that you have to do. To do lists will help you not to waste time, have clear objectives for the day, and prioritize your tasks. To do lists are definitely the ideal tools to organize yourself better, take maximum advantage of your working hours and to save energy. Here you have a few tips to help you create a good to-do list.
- Be proactive and anticipate what you will have to do for the day. Take a few minutes to reflect on what tasks require more time, and determine which tasks are the most important. Do not only write down the urgent tasks: it is important to make a complete list.
- Write down everything. Include the easiest or simplest tasks as well. When you complete them, the act of checking them off the list will serve as positive reinforcement and will give you additional energy for you to continue with your day. At the end of the day, you will feel better about yourself.
- Be sincere with yourself. Do not leave the most complex tasks or that you do not want to do for the last position of the list. Write them down first and make sure that they are visible. If you put these tasks last, you are showing yourself that you are not interested in doing them and that they are not that important to you. You will be always postponing these tasks until the end of the week or end of the month, and eventually there will be no other choice but to do them. For the tasks that you do not particularly like doing, it is best to do them first.
- Make a to-do list that is visually attractive. It is important to use different colors and highlight the most important tasks. Use labels, tags, or visual markers so that you will know what you to do with just a glance at your to-do list.
- Be flexible. Redo your to-do list. If necessary, make a new list at noon. Priorities may change throughout the workday. If you must, make a to-do list, if you have enough time.
- Use a planner or special notebook for these lists. Do not just use any piece of paper that you find in the office For starters, there is there is the possibility that you might lose it. Secondly, having a "diary" of tasks will help you see how you have done throughout the week or the month, you will be able to see which tasks are harder to perform and you will able to take care of tasks that never got done. If you are not sure of which day you sent that urgent package that still has not arrived, you can always refer to your notebook that has your tasks and know (if you have written it down) the date. There are also a series of tools online that are available to create lists in an effective way, as the WudaTime program provides, which lets you have the list of tasks saved in your session and they can also be organized by specific projects. The more scrupulous and organized your lists are, the more productive you will be.
- Be realistic and make your tasks achievable. Do not make immense lists of tasks for which you know you will not have enough time to do. Set a reasonable number of tasks, and then work from that list. Throughout the day and if you have more time, add a few more tasks. A list that is too long can overwhelm you and demotivate you even before the workday begins. If, at the day there are still a lot of tasks left on your list, it will make you feel bad about what you have done for the day. So for that reason, organize the list and be honest with yourself regarding the amount of work that you can do.
As you can see, making a to-do list is not easy, but once you get into the habit of doing it, you will see that there are a lot of advantages. You will save time, improve your productivity, and all of your work will be organized. All of those pending tasks that we normally keep in our minds will be written down, and in this way it is easier to remember them. In any case, do not be a slave to your to do list. Identify what is really important and prioritize, you will be more productive.