Good communication at work← Back to blog
Communication between coworkers within a company is crucial. Maybe it is the most important aspect regarding efficient functioning and employee performance. Good communication helps to avoid misunderstandings and helps to create, in the majority of the cases, a good work environment. If good communication is achieved, and the workers are happy, they will be more productive and they will also deliver more throughout the workday. However, achieving good communication throughout the workplace is not an easy task. Some people tend to hide their feelings, ignore others, and some people do not speak clearly.
Below, we will give you a few tips to achieve good communication throughout your workplace or between the staff.
- Express yourself! If something bothered you or some proposal does not sit well with you, tell it to the rest of your coworkers. Keeping your opinions to yourself and hiding your feelings will only serve to create internal resentment that will just get bigger throughout the workdays or weeks. In the end, you will find yourself in a spiral silence and you will not know how to get out. Express yourself, but...
- With respect. If you have something to say to a coworker, please, use common sense and respect. Make good use of constructive criticism, never destructive, and try not to offend others. If a comment has not sit well with you, try not to get worked up and treat the situation as the adult that you are: present your reasons and try to arrive at a solution to the conflict. Above all, do not lose your temper, and please, do not make a spectacle in the office. It will be talked about and it is in no one's best interest.
- Be sincere. If you have not been able to complete a task for a specific reason or if you need to leave early from work, say it. Do not lie to your coworkers or to your boss. As the saying goes: Lies have short legs. Do not be afraid to tell the truth and be truthful with your coworkers.
- Do not manipulate others. Do not use information about other coworkers or comments that you've heard to use to your advantage. If someone tells you something, try to be discreet. Make people trust you and you will gain even more than just a friend.
- And of course, do not criticize others behind their backs. Talking badly about coworkers is a horrendous act but it happens all the time in many workplaces. Keep in mind that in the end, they will end up finding out, so watch out because you can make more than just one enemy and turn the whole office against you. If you have something to say, say it directly to them, with honesty, maturity, responsibility, and respect. Do not try and create groups that are in your favor, and act like an adult.
- Try to get to know your coworkers. We are at work almost as much time as we are in our homes, so make an effort to get to know the people with whom you are working. Get to know their worries and concerns and try to learn a little more about their personal lives, but always with discretion and respect. It is not necessary for your coworkers to become lifelong friends, but it is crucial to learn about them to be empathetic and to be able to understand them at any given time. Also, do not get too involved with their personal lives, because you can start to feel overwhelmed.
- Stay neutral. If there is a conflict in the workplace, or between coworkers, try to stay neutral. Getting into the middle of a work dispute will only bring you problems. Try to calm the situation and reduce the tension in the office, or stay off to the side. If you get involved with one side or the other, you may end up being adversely affected.
Achieving a good work environment is not a simple task and requires everyone to do their part. Climbing Mount Everest is not a simple task either. It is about using common sense and acting responsibly, with others and with ourselves. Keep in mind that the more communication there is throughout the staff, there will be less misunderstandings, and with less misunderstandings, the productivity and the efficiency of the employees will definitely improve.